There are some benefits to being pregnant in the summer though:
1) You can wear dresses most of the time, which are super comfortable and don't show the world how much you have been growing. I'm not sure if it's just me or not, but my maternity pants seem to get tighter and tighter every time I put them on. Apparently my body wants my to use my butt and hips as my only storage containers for this pregnancy. So I'm thankful for it not showing up in my face and arms, but I really hope they return to original size after this baby comes out! So for me, not having to wear pants if a huge plus these days.
2) You have fresh fruit and veggies! At this point I'm pretty much hungry all the time. While I do try to control this and not eat every time I am hungry, it is nice to have fresh fruit to snack on that's good for me and the baby! I think that if it was December or January, I would be snacking on much more unhealthy options.
3) You have some color! Not that I have too much time to tan, but I do feel like I look a little better with some color, rather than being pale white in the dead of winter.
4) You can get away with more casual attire at work this time of year and I've even worn some nice flip flops lately. I figure I might as well see what I can pull off until someone says something.
5) It's nice outside, so you stay active! Summer is full of BBQ's, concerts, water activities, games, ect. While I do get tired more easily, it helps to have obligations on the weekends to get me up and active.
6) Looking good in a swimsuit pregnant is just not possible. So you just accept it and know that you get a free pass for the next few months. I'm beyond the point of caring what I look like in a swimsuit this summer, so it makes trips to the pool and beach more enjoyable, because well, I just don't care.
7) Summer maternity clothes are much cheaper than winter ones, not to mention you don't have to buy a winter coat or layers.
Downfalls of a 3rd trimester during the summer:
1) It's hot. That's the biggest one. It hasn't been near as bad as I thought it would be though. People warned me that I would be miserable this summer and really, besides a couple days, I haven't been. You adjust, just like anything
2) You have to drink LOTS of water and be careful of dehydration because it can cause pre-term labor. That's probably the most burdensome. I think I probably worry about it a little too much...
3) Which leads to public restrooms. Since I am out and about, drinking tons of water, I spend a lot of time in public restrooms and their lines. Not a fun. And the worst are the outdoor ones. The ones that are dirty so you have to put toilet paper on the seat before you sit down...and you're sweaty.. so then the toilet paper sticks to your butt and legs...yuck. You may think that's funny, but I know it's happened to you too.
And that's about all! So basically, being pregnant this summer has not been near as bad as people had warned me about. And really I think there are a good list or pros and cons for any season.
Here's a picture of how I (left) would feel if I was shopping with Princess Kate (right) (my hair is a little darker though). Come on royal baby! I want to see pictures!

And yes, I did post this before the baby's sex was revealed. I knew she was having a boy! Although I think this was the only one I have been right on so far...
ReplyDelete