Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Things you shouldn't say to pregnant women...

Now that I am down to just 6 weeks, I feel like I have enough experience to share a post like this.

1) As soon as you start showing, every women who has had children flocks to you in public places.  I can't even count how many new "friends" I have made in the bathroom in work and restaurants.

2) Get ready for everyone to stare at you.  Either because they have children and are reminiscing about pregnancy or because they find it fascinating that you are carrying a baby... or other reasons that are beyond my facial expression readings.

3) You will get unsolicited advice on parenting and baby products from strangers on a daily basis.  I especially love the "Whatever you do, just don't ..." And then I say to myself, "Yep, we are actually planning on doing that."

4) Every mother thinks their child is the greatest thing in the world and I have to sensor my expressions when I look at something a child does or the way they are disciplined and think "Gosh, I have to remember not to ever do/say that."  And every now and then I see some really good parenting and it makes me smile and think "Wow, great parents.  I could learn from them."

Ok, things that people have said to me that I deemed inappropriate or offensive:

"How much weight have you gained?"  What woman ever wants to share that information?  Although completely OK to discuss with close friends or other pregnant women.

Before I was really showing "Are you sure there's a baby in there?  There is no way you are due in September. You're baby should be bigger than THAT by now." Well, actually I am and if you are trying to say I'm skinny, thanks?  And I'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you mentioned your were an OB doctor?!?  I'm right on track for my size, thank you.

This week from a co-worker who has not been pregnant. "Yeah you can tell you're due soon now that your face is getting fat." Awesome, thank you.  I have noticed that, but I was really hoping it was not that obvious to others. I have an extra 6 lbs of fluid in my body from the pregnancy, it's gonna show up somewhere!

"Are you sure you are having a girl?  You are carrying really low and carrying low means it's a boy."
Me: "Well, I've had two ultrasounds confirming that she is a girl, so I hope they are right!"
She apparently does not understand biology and that the sex of the baby has nothing to do with the way your carry a baby.

"You look tired.  Do you need a break? You should take some time for yourself so the baby doesn't get stressed out" Awesome, thank you.

"You're not going to use formula, right? You know breastfed babies have a higher IQ." I am going to do whatever works for my baby.  Did you know that some women can't breastfeed or don't produce enough milk to solely breastfeed?... it does not lower your child's IQ.
-OR-
"Whatever you do, don't breastfeed and use formula.  It completely messes up your child's GI system and makes their poop smell." Baby poop smells.  There is no way around it. Again, I'll see what works.  I'm pretty sure you are not a pediatrician nor has there been any research to prove that using both messes up every child's GI system.

"You sure have worked up an appetite with this pregnancy!"  Well, thank you and now it is lost because you made me feel fat.

And polite ways people have commented on my pregnancy:
You look great!
You are all baby in the belly!  You don't look like you have gained weight anywhere else!

Yep, that's about all.  You can make any pregnant women's day.


No comments:

Post a Comment