Maternity clothes:
Target has cute maternity clothes, but they are not the cheapest. The cheapest place I found maternity clothes was at Burlington Coat Factory. On the top floor of ours, they have Baby Depot which has maternity clothes and tons of "last season" baby products at a great price. I have gotten shirt there for $5, shorts for $13-20 and pants are close to that too. The only downfall is that you have to dig through the racks to find them. I ended up buying most of my work clothes at Motherhood Maternity. They have great deals online and lots of coupons. If you can go into the store and find your size, then you can buy stuff there or online and the sizes seem to be consistent. Join their email list for the coupons and deals. Also shop the clearance racks.
Always buy one size up:
First trimester and the beginning of second trimester, I was maternity clothes shopping and the sales associate told me to buy a small. Two months later, those pants didn't fit. So whatever size they tell you to buy, buy one size larger. You will grow into them and then you won't have to buy new ones 3rd trimester when you are really growing. Your body changes a lot in pregnancy. Some of it you can control and some of it you can't. Your hips will expand to make room for the baby to fit through and there is no way to stop it. And since mine expanded A LOT and I think that contributed to an easier childbirth, which is awesome!
Don't worry about weight gain too much:
Typically they recommend you gain 25-35 lbs with pregnancy, which seems like a lot! There were weeks i gained a lot and weeks I didn't gain any. I was super self conscious about it, but it is already coming off quickly. Overall I gained 37 lbs and have already lost 20+ lbs in just the first week and a half. Breast feeding knocks it off really quickly.
Dad's aren't Mom's:
There is a natural bond between Mom's and babies that men will never understand. They can't. They try, but it's just not the same at the beginning. Mike has been awesome with helping out with Kaylee's feedings, changing, chores around the house, cuddling and kissing, ect. Babies cry and as a Mom you just learn to have patience and walk with them for an hour or bounce them all over the house. For most guys, I think they are anxious for the baby to grow up and be more interactive. As a newborn, they don't do a while lot. So we are working on the patience aspect right now. It's coming :) If you have family/friend's that have little kids, it may be helpful for an experienced Dad to talk to the soon-to-be Dad and tell him what to expect.. and that it's hard.
Breast feeding is hard... really hard:
This has by far been the most challenging part of pregnancy/childbirth for me. You read about how great breast feeding is for the baby and mom, but I don't think they accurately tell you how hard it is for some people. And if it doesn't work out for you, THAT'S OK. You are still a good parent. I have a lot to say about this, so look for another post soon...
Sleep your life away while you are pregnant:
I know it wasn't always easy to sleep while I was pregnant, but as soon as that baby comes, you will be lucky to get in more than a 4 hour chuck at night. Mike and I have been doing 3-4 hour shifts, which has been great, but still I don't get more than 4 hours at a time because I have to get up to pump. It is amazing how your body adapts. Right now I am getting two chucks of three hours, usually from 10:30-1:30 and then off and on with her after that, in between feedings and it's working.
You don't actually get every symptom they list as part of pregnancy:
When I read the list of pregnancy side effects and symptoms, I thought I would get them all. Turns out you don't! I did get a number of them, but none of the ones I was really worried about like hemorrhoids or excessive fluid retention that makes you look like a balloon. And as soon as the baby is born, they all go away.
You hear more of the worst cases than the best cases:
I think I read every worst case scenario and story about how terrible pregnancy and childbirth is, but a lot of it has to do with your attitude towards it. If you want to make the best of it, you will. If you want to be that person that complains about every little sign and symptom, you will, and people will get really annoyed of it too.
People are so judgmental!
I think I have already touched on this a few times, but everyone will give you advice. Some of it is helpful, but a lot of it is not! And people will make you feel dumb and like you are a bad parent.
Epidural:
Ummm greatest thing ever. If you can do it without one or have that desire, you go for it girl! But after having one, I can't see why anyone wouldn't want one. They are wonderful and made my whole birth experience memorable and painless.
People may tell you "You are a strong woman, you don't need one." I don't think being strong has anything to do with it.
Or "An epidural extends labor." I got my epidural at 10:30pm and delivered at 2:30pm. I don't think it extended it at all.
And I will most definitely get an epidural again.
And a cute picture of Kaylee :)

No comments:
Post a Comment